May 3, 2010

Victoria Pittman Workshop

What an amazing, art-filled weekend I recently shared with my calligraphy friends!  We had a chance to take Victoria Pittman's "Tortured Metals" class and our heads are still spinning with all the techniques she threw at us.  She is a generous, open, eloquent, and passionate artist who many times throughout the weekend was almost giddy at the some of the effects we were able to achieve. You could tell she was cataloguing every experience as a springboard for a new creation she would attempt the second she left the building.  My favorite teaching moment was when she described in colorful detail a splatter of rust and paint she saw on a truck while travelling that she just had to emulate.  We learned how to use our eyes as well as our hands that weekend.  Thank you, Victoria!


Here are a few of my pieces from the workshop:

It is unbelievable what you can coax out of copper. 



Abstract acrylic piece using gestural marks and texturing tools.  



The possibilities are endless with this gesso-based technique.  I plan to use this one for a book cover. 


A sample of the results I was able to achieve by using a patina on gold and silver leaf.  The organic element is from a cactus in Victoria's yard.


Small card -- tissue paper and metal collage with silver leaf.  I love how the copper patina complements the acrylics.


Victoria is calmly at work while we are panicking that we're forgetting everything!


Check out Victoria's work for yourself at her blog: http://victoiriapittman.blogspot.com.  She has recently entered the world of encaustics and I can't wait to see how she uses them.  All I know is it will be unconventional and totally original.  



3 comments:

Jane Farr said...

Victoria is a wonderful and inspiring teacher! She taught this workshop for our guild two years ago, and I loved it too!

WildmanDesigns said...

Great stuff, Shannon! I had a chance to take Victoria's class in Chicago quite a few years back. I loved it! I still have some of the papers we decorated in my flat files. :-)

Leslie Avon Miller said...

What a fabulous work shop. Nothing like a good one to get the creative juices flowing.