May 1, 2010

Compassion and the Secret Sisters Society


One of my jewelry clients is a member of the Secret Sisters Society, an organization of cancer survivors who are using their experience and passion for life to help women in our community who can't afford important cancer screenings like mammography. Every year they hold a fundraiser and invite artists to submit a design for their promotional materials.  The only requirements are that it include the Secret Sisters' name and mask.  When my client told me of their mission, I knew calligraphy had a place in their promotions and I decided to submit something. (My submission is pictured above.)  I'll know sometime in May if my work has been selected, but I thought I'd share the piece and a little about their efforts here, regardless of the outcome.

Art and words, and the merging of the two, can be very powerful -- maybe even powerful enough to move people to action. I believe the lettering arts could play an extraordinary role in the non-profit, healing industries.  I wish the Secret Sisters Society great success in their fundraising efforts and pray that their work is a light to those who desperately need it.

[I used Sumi ink and Ecoline watercolors for the background and the lettering was done with ruling pen, broad edge, and pointed pen in Sumi, gouache, and Dr. Martin's bleedproof white.  The quote from Gandhi was yet another attempt at the new "bamboo italics" hand I am learning.]

3 comments:

Tammie Lee said...

this is a wonderful piece. the colors are vibrant and tender at the same time. I enjoyed that you share what you used to create this. I agree words and art can be a wonderful mating.
Thanks for your visit to my Spirithelpers blog and your kind comment.

Katy said...

The colors are fabulous, and I love the bamboo italics hand. You are so talented!

Jane Farr said...

Both a wonderful post and a beautiful piece Shannon. Thanks for sharing it with us!