February 21, 2010

Energies of Love



My recent peace project (and a family drama that is playing itself out as we speak) got me thinking about force, the dangers of over-confidence, and the illusion of control.  When power over others is the goal, incredible amounts of energy are channeled toward things of man instead of things of God. And for what?  Control of money?  Circumstances?  Reputation?  These are fleeting, earthly, temporal things of no eternal value, but they can consume us if we let them and end up defining a life (whether we are the oppressor or the oppressed).  Revenge and the exhausting pursuit of justice can entrap us as much as the things we fight against.  We have to remember that love is the only response that liberates, and that is its ultimate power -- if we trust it enough to work.  Do we?

"Someday, after mastering the winds, the waves, the tides, and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love, and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." -- Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Artwork:  I completed the piece above after a pointed pen class by Anne Binder. What an awesome tool!   I used Arches black cover, Dr. Martin's Bleedproof white, and a Hunt 56 pointed nib.  

2 comments:

Tammie Lee said...

you pen art is wonderful~
the quote is fantastic as can be~

Marjorie said...

I'm so glad to meet you (by way of you as a new follower on my blog)and am enjoying seeing your calligraphy! I love Ann Binder too after meeting her in S. Bend at a show there sev. years ago. And your quote- I rememeber seeing this quote years ago and trying to find it. Isn't it funny how some words stick in your mind and of course I remembered the writer's name.