December 12, 2009

Mystery of Moods



I'm going to talk around a subject to protect my male readers and to respect blog protocol that cautions against over sharing. I had a particularly tense, emotionally charged, almost Linda Blair response to my children's bickering the other morning. I knew my reaction was over the top so I checked the calendar and realized I was only impersonating Shannon. It was day 28 and my glorious, life-giving, dawn of creation, female power had taken over.

I decided the kids were old enough to be tipped off to this life-cycle I was playing out. Without getting into any details about how babies are made, I explained how some women have a pattern of mood swings based on a monthly, God-given physical change. I kept the explanation mysterious and beautiful so Sydney wouldn't turn in her membership card to our secret sister society. I told them I would let them know in the future when day 28 was near, and that I would try harder to prevent my gentle mothering from being affected. With one eyebrow raised, Sydney said that on day 28 she would make sure she came to breakfast with a helmet, shield and sword.

1 comment:

Jo Miller said...

Hi Shannon

Thanks for your comment on my etsy shop. I am so glad that you found me so I could find you. This post is wonderful. I can completely relate. sometimes the hormones can take over the mood and emotions before we know it's happening. The piece you have pictured is lovely, dramatic and emotional. Something I think all us women can relate to.

Jo